Tuesday 3 July 2007

Dress ups



I am desperately trying to figure out why my 3 year old daughter feels I need her help in dressing in the morning.


I try every morning to get up at least 20 minutes before everyone else so that I can have a cup of tea and read the news/blogs in peace before the chaos that is my day starts. Sometimes though, the little devils manage to trump me and be in my bed before I manage to get out of it. On these days, I throw on a dressing gown and come downstairs with them.


This means that when I return up the stairs to shower, clean teeth and dress I usually have an audience. I have gotten used to the audience but now the audience has started to participate.

My daughter, gets clothes out of my drawers and puts them on my bed ready for me to wear, just as I do for her. Why does she think when she can't do it for herself, that she needs to do it for me. Not only that, she is a really girly girl so the clothes that she chooses and gets out are not usually appropriate for a morning at the gym, or a day cleaning, or even a shopping trip. However when I point this out to her she gets highly offended, then her whine gets higher in octave, which brings the other children running to gang up on me as though I am the wicked stepmother and not the mother that loves??? them dearly and would never dream of hurting them????

Then because we are usually late for something, the clothes stay on my bed until they fall into a crumpled heap on the floor and stay there until the dust has gathered and triggered my asthma, so I move them to the laundry to sit in a basket to be washed, don't start me on ironing, but then not longer after they finally return to my wardrobe or drawers they end up back on my bed via my daughter.

Does she think I don't have enough work and would love to spend more time ironing, washing in cleaning, is she trying to say I need to improve my dress sense, or is she just trying to be helpful and loving?

1 comment:

Debstar said...

She's loving Claire, loving. I think that's gorgeous. Suggestion - Wear at least one thing that she's picked out & change when you get to the gym. Or ask her to pick out bag,hat& scarf. Judging by photo you'll look super stylish LOL. Or ask her to bring in her things and put them beside yours that way you can get dressed together.
I'm guessing she just wants to be involved.