Monday, 14 April 2008

Please don't call DOCs

Today did not get off to a great start.

Got home after a client training session and was making a cup of hot chocolate as my son was getting his breakfast.

My hot choc was not mixing well and was lumpy so I put it into the shaker and started to shake, whilst holding the lid on (a nervous habit). However, I did not hold it on well enough, it exploded and spat red hot chocolate all over my near naked (jama pants only) 8 year old son. It went all over his neck and shoulder - as well as the rest of the kitchen and everything in it, although not my concern at the time. He was screaming, but I managed surprisingly, calmly, to get him to the bathroom and started splashing cold water on and until I made him strip and get into a freezing cold shower. Every 5 minutes he got out for a cuddle and warm up and then back in until the 20 minutes was up. Meantime, I had given him Panadol and called his dad back from his way to work, just in case, I needed to go to the hospital.

Thankfully, he was and is ok. it did not really burn him, he has no scars or red marks, anymore. I still feel guilty, but glad that I knew what to do. It's really important, not just as a trainer but as a mother to keep up to date with first aid.

Unfortunately this is not his first incident with burns, he burnt the palms of his hands a couple of years ago when on the monkey bars, that time was much worse, but again, thankfully no lasting scars or problems.

He is really winding me up by running a mile whenever I boil the kettle or sit down for a calming peppermint tea, he is not going to let my guilt disappear anytime soon. Regardless though, it is his bedtime and he is not staying up late.

1 comment:

Yummy Mummy said...

The poor little bugger....
These things do happen.. god I could reel off a few stories myself.. but I don't want DOC's knocking at the door either!