Sunday 24 June 2007

Claustrophobia

Claustrophobia is an anxiety disorder that involves the fear of enclosed or confined spaces. Claustrophobes may suffer from panic attacks, or fear of having a panic attack, in situations such as being in elevators, trains, boxes or aircrafts. - Wikipedia

Does that include being put into a coffin like contraption, strapped down and being told to stay there while they take an MRI of your shoulder?

I should have known when several times before the MRI I was asked am I claustrophobic. I had that nagging in my brain, but said no. I don't consider myself to be claustrophobic, I don't freak out being in elevators or trains or aircraft, I don't panic in crowds, but I don't like the doona over my head.

I'm a grown up, I can handle this, it's all ok.

Then the man (not sure what his job title would be) said it would take about 45 minutes, put headphones on me and the machine carried me to my grave. Oh I should have told you, he said my breathing was very important, no deep breaths, keep your breathing under control at all times. Well that is like being told not to touch, you have to. So.........I freaked. I was ok until the headphones went on. I asked if I could leave them off, he said yes. I survived and I know that I could have one again if I needed to but I won't be in a hurry.

4 comments:

Kek said...

I think that those of us who are claustrophobic should receive a bravery award from the Governor for surviving an MRI. Write to your MP.

Strangely, I fell asleep during mine - and they were scanning my HEAD.

Hope the results are good news...

Debstar said...

Sorry to hear your shoulder is not getting any better. Must be bad if you're needing a MRI.
I'll cross my fingers for a good result.

Cherub said...

Thanks.

It's not really bad, it just isn't improving. It doesn't hurt if I don't do anything, but after 12 months, that is more than getting me down. I need to play with my family and train upper body again in a way that makes me feel good.

Claire

Debstar said...

Claire, I'm sure you've probably tried everything BUT have you ever given trigger point therapy a go? About 2 years ago I had a frozen shoulder, couldn't raise my hand from my side past about 30cm and the pain was non-stop for months.Then I came across a guy who did a combination of trigger point, shiatsu & remedial massage. The change in my shoulder was astounding he got me moving within a month and the pain disappeared.

I do think I was very, very lucky. There are some people who are very intuitive when it comes to massage and he was one of them.

I've since had a little physio to sort out some final problems with my shoulder and still can only do girly weights but thats OK I'm happy where I am.

It took me 18months to fully recover so I do know where you're coming from.