Thursday 26 June 2008

Smell 2

I was so excited yesterday, being able to smell stuff was huge.

A brief history, I suffer sinusitis and nasal polyps. I have had several operations to improve/remove, however on a daily basis, I am still very blocked, it has improved heaps over the last 2 years or so but is still quite bad. Sometime during the last (I don't know) 15-20 years, I realised that I had lost my sense of smell. I didn't think too much about it just accepted that it was just the way it it.

I am also highly allergic to many things, too many to mention or even really test for. Bizarrely though not pollen, or not many of them.

Well, yesterday as I was filling up my car at the petrol station, I thought I could smell petrol and petrol happened to be one of my favourite smells, together with brand new catalogues. Anyway, I dismissed it and decided that I only thought I could smell it, a memory rather than an actual smell.

Later in the day, I was aware of a smell, I think it may have been my perfume (I don't know because I have never smelt it, I have to rely on Jon to choose nice perfume) so decided to investigate further.

What is the strongest smelling thing I have in the house? I know my Eucalyptus essential oil. Off I went. I could smell it. Only a little, and I had to put it about 2mm from my nose and snort, about 3 seconds later, I smelt it for a split second. I am sure most people would be flat on their backs from that but not me.

What next, I went mad, my nose was snorting almost everything (well nice things). I smelt garlic bread, apple, tomato, tried my perfumes, but not really, I think I may have burnt the lining of my nose from the eucalyptus.

My daughter thought I was crazy - again. Why are you smelling everything? Because I can.

This has happened in the past on occasion and then stopped again. Today, I don't think I can smell anything, maybe later I will. I really hope so.

One day maybe I will be able to walk into a room and smell cooking, or a perfume or flowers, that would be nice.

No comments: