Friday 17 August 2007

Schools out - when?

I didn't realise that having children meant that I would have to spend further years at school. As far as I was concerned, I left school in 1989, but oh no - after 60 minutes of sitting in full sun, watching countless children getting awards for almost everything, I realised I was going to be here for the next 9 years and that is only primary school. I also figured that if I didn't have bright, well behaved children I wouldn't need to sit through hours of assemblies. I do know that I would then be spending hours in the Principal's office but I choose to ignore that at the moment.

The assembly lasted 110 minutes. That is a long time for any adult to sit through let alone my 2 year old daughter. But at least I saw my son get his 30 seconds of glory when he walked up to receive his award.

Don't get me wrong I am very proud of him, but I left school at 16 for a reason - it bored me! Ok so I went back to school later and studied part time for 9 years, but that is not the point.

I discussed with my friend sitting next to me and we concluded that the only way to avoid such assemblies in the future would be to get a really inflexible job. Errmm I don't think so, perhaps you should reserve me that spot on the hill.

2 comments:

Yummy Mummy said...

Hi Claire..
amazingthe blogs you stumble across!!! I am currently training to become a personal trainer and found your post very interesting! Thanks for the great read!

Debstar said...

That's nearly 2 hours!!!!aaagh. That's quite ridiculous for a primary school.

Maybe you could write to the school and suggest they split awards day into 2. ie Have gr1 - gr3 get awards one day and grades4,5,6 get awards the next. That's how my kids school worked it.
They'll never try it if it isn't suggested. Get some other parents to write too and you might have a better chance at success.

Well done on having clever kids....and attending the ceremony. Many parents don't bother.