Thursday 7 July 2011

My lines tell my story



I don’t spend much time in front of the mirror looking at myself, with three children it’s just not a priority to spend a long time there. However, over the last few months when I am there,  drying my hair, I have to admit that the lines on my face were starting to bother me a little bit.
I’m getting older, obviously, but I was starting to think about how I would age, would I look older than my years? I guess getting copious amounts of emails from deal of the day type websites offering many a treatment to preserve my youth was not helping.
Today though, I felt different. Today I celebrated 16 years of marriage to my fantastic husband (I really should tell him more often that I think he is amazing).
Today I have been thinking of the day we got married and about our time together when we were younger and before we had children.
In front of the mirror I started to see those lines in a different way.


My lines tell my story.
My lines explain 

  • that I have been happily married for 16 years
  • that I have 3 beautiful children
  • that my son is nearly 12 and turning into an amazing young man just like his dad
  • how many broken nights sleep I had when I had the joy of breastfeeding each one of them
  • all friendships I have enjoyed and the late night parties (obviously in the past now)
  • the trips away to remote cottages with friends and lying on the grass looking up at the stars and singing loudly to Oasis until the stars disappeared and the sun began to rise
  • the countries I have been lucky enough to visit
  • the stress and worry that my extended family have caused, though I am still blessed to have them in my life
  • the wrong decisions I have made and the lessons I have learned from them
  • the countless hours spent waiting in Doctor’s surgery’s because my child is unwell again
  • that I lived and loved the 80’s and everything about them
  • that I watched Charles and Diana get married on live TV

My lines show that I have lived a wonderful life, that I have wisdom and maturity and experience and without my lines I am just a 20 year old with a minimal life story to tell.

How dull would that be?

No comments: